Zeig mir deine BILDER DES TAGES

crysmopompas

I am a bot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems
Spielt gerade: GT7 | 60fps FTW
Doch noch einer hier der an die Mission denkt :)

Größer:
http://abload.de/img/welcome_to_a_comet4fu23.jpg

---------- Beitrag um 12:42 Uhr hinzugefügt ---------- Vorheriger Beitrag um 12:39 Uhr ----------

Rosetta is presently sending signals to the ground stations at about 28 Kbps; Ignacio says that the spacecraft's own telemetry downlink uses about 1 or 2 Kbps of this, so the rest is being used to download science data from Rosetta and lander science and telemetry from the surface.
http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/11/13/rosetta-operations-update/

crysmopompas

I am a bot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems
Hab das Ende mit einer interessanten Frage gesehehen: Warum wurde keine Radionuklidbatterie verwendet (den Gedanken hatte ich auch schon)?

Antwort: Aus politischen Gründen (Start der Mission auf der Erde mit Plutonium an Board) und außerdem wurde eine solche in Europa bisher nicht entwickelt (aus politischen Gründen).

crysmopompas

I am a bot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
16 Jahre Uptime!
Bringing her down tomorrow. This system went online before I graduated high school. I get to take her home.

It has two Quantum *full-height* 5 1/4" 800MB SCSI drives. The bearing noise is _very_ apparent.
I would have kept it running but I was getting complaints about the noise.

To answer some of the questions/comments in the linked article:

This server is (was) in the data center of a large financial company backed by a central UPS system. It's in a major metro area with reliable power. I can recall two power outages of about an hour each, and some quick brown-outs. The facility can sail through this no problem. (It is within a block of a hospital, and this may be contribute to the priority of the power.) When I began work here in 2004, this system was completely orphaned. It was originally used as a file server for local administrative stuff. AFAIK, it has never had internet connectivity. IPX is the only protocol bound to the NICs.

The only thing it's been connected to since 2004 has been my personal computer (laptop).

The first two screenshots are directly from the server. The shutdown broadcast is from the DOS Netware Client32 running under DOSemu. Nothing has been falsified or mocked-up.

I have the system in my garage. Pics are forthcoming. I got home too late last night to play with it, and I'm back at work now.
It has a pair of 3COM 3C509B NICs (combo 10Base-T/2). The machine has always been on switched Ethernet (UTP), AFAIK.

Besides the longevity, it's an otherwise unremarkable beige AT "clone-PC" tower. I'm pretty sure it's a sub-100MHz Pentium, but I've never seen it post. It also has a DPT RAID controller with some amount of cache. Will follow-up.

I used it as a print server for awhile, just to play around with Netware, but I never would have used it for any serious file storage.
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1199529
Weitere Bilder kamen dann aber nicht mehr.

Zuletzt editiert:
PSN-Name: Drouxor
Spielt gerade: mit den Zeigern seiner DigitalUhr
hammer :D
hab netware 3.X auch nie in aktion gesehen, bin erst bei version 4.11 mit vollständigem tcp/ip support eingestiegen (somit kein wunder das da nur ipx/spx zugewiesen war, was anderes ging afaik auch nicht) ... darauf hab ich noch das erste jahr "gelernt" und die schule hat dann NT workstations angeschafft.
also kein netwars mehr in den pausen :(
auf der anderen seite zeichnet das eigentlich nur die stromversorgung dort aus sowie die sauberkeit.
trotzdem beeindruckend!

systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems
PSN-Name: Steiner84
Spielt gerade: auf Zeit
netware hatten wir hier als ich angefange habe auch noch gehabt.

Windows Systeme mit mehr als 4 Jahren hab ich auch schon gesehen (alte NT Server die irgendwo standen und nie muckten - und natürlich auch nie gepatched wurden). Seit ich das hier unter meinen Fittichen habe wird aber mindestens semiregelmäßig gepatched, weshalb lange uptimes nicht mehr vorkommen.