Fast & Furious Crossroads

Kanaro

PSN-Name: JulienFades
Das spiel kommt von Slightly Mad und nicht von irgendeinem 10 Mann Studio. Auch wenn das alles total veraltet aussieht hätte man den Trailer doch besser schneiden können um es ein bisschen zu Kaschieren. Game Director bei SMS ist Paul Rutschinsky. Ob er auch daran arbeitet oder on ein kleineres Team mit dem Spiel bestraft wurde?

Da sieht ja Wheelman spaßiger aus und das Spiel ist 12 Jahre alt.

Zuletzt editiert:

crysmopompas

I am a bot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems
Spielt gerade: GT7 | 60fps FTW
Auf den neuen Screenshots steht kein Wort von Codemasters, nur SMS und Namco (der Publisher hat auch schon PCars1&2 veröffentlicht).
Vielleicht einfach weil das alles schon vor der Übernahme ausgehandelt wurde.

Game Director bei SMS ist Paul Rutschinsky. Ob er auch daran arbeitet oder on ein kleineres Team mit dem Spiel bestraft wurde?
Kam der nicht erst später dazu?

.ram

Editor in Chief
Team-Mitglied
PSN-Name: dethforce
so bin durch - was für ein riesiger haufen scheisse das ist. meine güte, wie kann man sowas nur derart verhunzen - mit abstand das schlechteste renn/actionspiel der letzten jahre. urgh!

crysmopompas

I am a bot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems, systems
Spielt gerade: GT7 | 60fps FTW
Austin Ogonoski
7 months ago (edited)

Worked on both of these games, hopefully my comment does not get lost. This video is literally a documentary of my time at SMS. I signed on right as they were about to release pCars 2/start on pCars 3, and then left (not really lol) right as the run of pC3 DLC ended. That alone is a wild story unto itself.

pCars 3 from what I recall was dictated by misinterpreting pCars 2 sales figures.

The original pCars generated massive sales figures for SMS on day one, primarily because in 2015 GT Sport was delayed and there was no racing sim on the PS4 yet. When pCars 2 didn't match those immediate insane sales figures, the decision was made that sim racing is too finicky of a market, and to try their hand at a Horizon-style offshoot.

In reality, pCars 2 sold very well over it's total lifetime, so this shift in direction was ill-advised and in hindsight shouldn't have happened.

It is my professional opinion that pC3 failed because SMS didn't really comprehend what made the Shift games great. Shift was intended to be used as the blueprint but nobody really made an effort to ensure the Shift formula was there - things like obnoxiously loud engine sounds, aggressive visual effects, moody menus, and a grandiose soundtrack. We settled on rainbow menus, dubstep, and very uninspired car sounds. It was like they didn't understand why people liked Shift.

Earlier builds, from the summer of 2019, were very promising. Very good AI, good pad controls, seemed like a modern equivalent to PGR. At some point overlords stepped in and asked us to slow down the AI in Career races because "kids will be playing this", and to make "exciting pack racing" where the AI all clumped together. From this point forward the game was unenjoyable to play and that's when I knew we were in trouble.

As with Crossroads, it deserves a documentary.

There was a concerning level of delusion from day one from the head of that project, who was a massive F&F fan.

Internally they celebrated the story for its inclusion of black female and non-binary characters as if it would give us great press, while not realizing the story didn't have a proper plot arc, and the characters were extremely annoying. Part of the reason I began work on my own novel & released it on Amazon was because I thought it would be funny to out-do such a bad story that got Universal's stamp of approval, and see if I could get a better Amazon rating than a project with millions behind it. I won lol.

They were convinced the multiplayer would be like "Overwatch with Cars", while week after week I equated the multiplayer component to "flying fighter jets in a gymnasium" and being unable to discern what was even going on most of the time. There was a belief that "our players will figure it out and develop advanced tactics", but even in our playtests this just never happened.

Most of Crossroads reminds me of a cross between Superman 64, and KISS' Music from the Elder. Go read up on the development of those two projects because there are some parallels.

Multiple friends texted me the day of Crossroad's release to tease me for being involved with the project, and I guess I'm mentioned by department in penguinz0's video on it.